Ways To Lessen Oral Bacteria And Debris In Your Mouth Once You Leave Your House

28 October 2016
 Categories: Dentist, Blog


If you would like your teeth to be cleaner, there are many different measures that you can take. Most people brush twice and floss once a day and expect those actions to be enough to maintain good oral health. However, your teeth are exposed to decay-causing substances throughout the day.

Each time you eat or drink, there is edible residue left in your mouth. Oral bacteria feed on the simple carbohydrates within the debris. As they eat these leftover sugar particles in your mouth, acid is released as a byproduct.

This acid is usually the primary reason for tooth decay. It dissolves the minerals within the tooth enamel to weaken the tooth material and cause holes or cavities to develop.

Although your teeth are exposed to reduced amounts of bacteria and carbohydrates in your mouth immediately following a brushing session, it is important to clean your teeth periodically throughout the day to help minimize the resurgence of these harmful substances. Here are a few things that you can do after you leave the house to help lessen the amount of bacteria and edible debris in your mouth:

Suck on Sugar-free Mints

Sugar-free mints don't include carbohydrates that can be metabolized by oral bacteria. Instead, they are sweetened with other substances, such as xylitol.

Xylitol is a natural sweetener that has antimicrobial properties. As you suck on a mint, the xylitol helps reduce the number of bacteria within your mouth.

Also, the sucking action encourages your salivary glands to release more saliva to rinse your mouth. This rinsing helps remove particles of food that may be stuck to your teeth and gums. Additionally, it helps weaken oral acids through dilution. As an added benefit, the mints also help freshen your breath.

Use Antibacterial Mouth Rinses or Sprays

Some mouth rinses and breath sprays include antimicrobial ingredients, such as chlorhexidine. Chlorhexidine helps kill the microbes within your mouth. Chlorhexidine is generally considered safe and does not have the drying effects of alcohol, which is also an antimicrobial ingredient in many rinses.

The mouth rinses should be used immediately after you eat or drink to help clean your teeth before bacteria have had a chance to feed. If you choose a mouth rinse, you can use travel-size products for ease of transport.

To learn more ways to keep your teeth clean throughout the day, schedule an appointment with a dentist in your area.